The holidays are one of the most wonderful times of the year but they can create some dangers that we don’t usually encounter on the daily basis the rest of the year. Keep you and your family safe this season with these tips from Children’s of Alabama.
The National Child Protection Association and the U.S. Fire Administration estimates that there are 240 house fires from Christmas trees alone and 150 fir es from holiday lights each year. When deciding on a Christmas tree this year, make sure it is fresh and watered appropriately. The tree needles should be green, and the stump sticky with sap and they should be placed away from any heat sources that may cause it to catch fire. You should water the tree daily, and if you notice the tree beginning to dry out and die, you should remove the tree from your home. All artificial trees should be flame resistant.
Many holiday plants can be poisonous if ingested. This includes mistletoe, holly, and Jerusalem cherry plants. Symptoms of potential plant poisoning are rashes, vomiting, and diarrhea. If you suspect that your child has eaten any part of the plant, please contact the Regional Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. Bubble lights and snow sprays can also be poisonous to children. Bubble lights contain a hazardous chemical called methylene chloride and should not be ingested.
With your holiday parties, make sure guests and relatives coming into your home keep their medications out of reach for your children. Store all medicines — prescription and nonprescription — out of sight and out of reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet. Even items that seem harmless, such as mouthwash, can be hazardous if ingested in large quantities by children. All packages and bottles should be child resistant. If you are visiting someone else’s home, make sure your kids are in a safe area of the house that is properly childproofed.
Alcohol and Food Poisoning
The risk of alcohol and food poisoning is all too common amongst children during the holidays. To lower the risk, make sure you dispose of all empty or partially empty containers immediately. All alcohol should be kept away and out of reach of children. Practice food safety by thoroughly washing hands, utensils, dishes, and anything else that comes in contact with raw meat, including poultry and fish, raw eggs before and after use. Store your leftovers properly, and heat them thoroughly before serving again.
Choking and Swallowing
Tree ornaments, light bulbs, icicles, tinsel, and small toys are all potential choking hazards for small children. If it is small enough to fit in a baby or toddler’s mouth, then it is too small to play with. Button batteries are common in most children’s toys and are very dangerous if swallowed. The symptoms of button battery ingestion are coughing, choking, irritability, loss of appetite, and fever. If swallowed, visit your nearest emergency department or call 911. Small treats such as peanuts or popcorn, tree needles, angel hair (made from finely spun glass) and ornament hangers are all potentially harmful and should be kept away from children.
The number one thing to remember when picking gifts for your little ones this season is that you must choose a gift that is age appropriate. For young children, toys without strings, batteries and removable parts are best and reduce the risk of choking.
If your child ingests something toxic this holiday season, call the Regional Poison Control Center at Children’s of Alabama at 1-800-222-1222. The Regional Poison Control Center can give recommendations for how to treat ingestion as well as dermal and ocular exposures.
ABOUT CHILDREN’S OF ALABAMA
Since 1911, Children’s of Alabama has provided specialized medical care for ill and injured children, offering inpatient and outpatient services throughout central Alabama. Ranked among the best pediatric medical centers in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, Children’s provided care for youngsters from every county in Alabama, 45 other states and six foreign countries last year, representing more than 677,000 outpatient visits and more than 15,000 inpatient admissions. With more than 2 million square feet, Children’s is the third largest pediatric medical facility in the U.S. More information is available at childrensal.org.