As I was searching the interwebs looking for something new and different to add to my Thanksgiving menu, I came across this recipe for Bourbon Buttermilk Pie… I’m a sucker for anything that calls for bourbon, if you are too, let’s both try this for our dessert table!
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust, defrosted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons bourbon or whiskey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Place one rack in lowest position of oven and one in center, then preheat oven to 325°F. In a large bowl, beat eggs on low speed just until mixed, then add sugar, flour and salt, mixing until incorporated. Add melted butter and mix well.
- Gently stir in buttermilk, bourbon, lemon zest, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake pie at the bottom of oven for 20 minutes, then carefully transfer to center of oven bake an additional 40 minutes, until the center is set and a thin crust forms on top. Check the pie 30 minutes into baking—if crust is browning too quickly, shield it with foil and continue cooking until finished. Serve warm, cool, or at room temperature.
- Store leftover pie covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or cover tightly and freeze for up to 2 months.
Recipe and Photo from Imperial Sugar Website