Are you aware that 74% of third-grade students in Birmingham City Schools are reading below grade level and that two-thirds of the third graders are below grade level in mathematics? The vast majority of our students are struggling with the most fundamental elements of a solid education and every year they are getting further and further behind. The pandemic increases this education gap for low-income students. Unless intervention is made early on, many of these students will eventually give up on education and on themselves. That is why Better Basics exists – to provide opportunities for all students to be empowered to achieve academic success regardless of their circumstances.
Better Basics has adapted to provide virtual research-based literacy programs during the 2020-2021 academic year. These proven programs increase the reading and mathematical functioning of students performing below grade-level. The pandemic brought changes resulting in increased technology, training, supplies, and curriculum expenditures.
All proceeds from Better Basics’ Love for Literacy signature fundraiser support excellent academic intervention and enrichment programs for struggling students in Birmingham area low-income communities. And the need is larger than ever this year! Better Basics provides services to approximately 35 schools and greatly impacts the lives of over 26,000 under-served children, birth through twelfth grade.
Better Basics will forgo its live, in-person gala this year due to the risks related to COVID-19. In lieu of the gala, we are selling Valentine’s Day packages that are perfect gifts for your significant other, your kids, a friend, or even yourself! What better way to show your love this year than to support Better Basics and also provide a wonderful gift to your loved one?!
Donors can purchase either the Adult Valentine’s gift package or the Kid Valentine’s gift package.
– The Adult package ($80) will include a bottle of fine red wine from International Wines, two yummy bundtlets from Nothing Bundt Cakes, and a gorgeous fresh flower arrangement by Marigold Designs.
– The Kid package ($50 for 1, $40 for any after 2) will include a Nothing Bundt Cakes bundtlet, a Valentine’s book, candy, an activity, and a Valentine’s Day balloon.
– The packages will be available for pick-up at Better Basics on Friday, February 12 th from 12-1 pm
and 4:30-6:30 pm. Packages can also be delivered locally for $20.
** The first 50 Valentine’s package purchases will be in a drawing to win a $250 Avani Rupa gift certificate **Donors can also purchase Chances to Win for four different luxury packages. Prices are $10 for one
chance and $25 for 3 chances. Included in the Chances to Win are:
– Amore Amethyst- 2 luxury jewelry items (one a surprise) from Avani Rupa valued at an
– Time to Get Away- 2 domestic round trip Delta airline tickets donated by BL Harbert and 60,000 Marriot Rewards points
– Vino Eccezionale- an exceptional wine lot from Finch Fine Wines with an estimated value of $350
– Where’s the Beef?- Premium cooler of meat donated by Doug Demedicis. Estimated value of $200. Included in the package is: 1 6-7 pound boneless ham, 4 packages of smoked sausage, 4 packages of hot wings, 4 packages of 24 ounce bacon, 4 St. Louis style ribs, 4 pork tenderloins, 4 boneless pork loins, 4 beef hot dogs, and an Igloo cooler.
Valentine’s Day packages, Chance to Win tickets, and Donations are available at www.BetterBasics.org/events.