Whether you’re a fan of resolutions of not we came up with a list of a few things you need to do if you live in Birmingham. Make it a point this year to get out and explore what Birmingham has to offer, you might be surprised at what you find!
1. Visit Railroad Park. We can’t toot this horn enough, it’s a great place for a picnic, a leisurely stroll, a workout or just having fun with your family.
2. Take a hike! With parks like Oak Mountain, Moss Rock and Ruffner Mountain Nature Center in your own back yard you can enjoy over 10,000 acres of nature at it’s finest.
3. Buy Local. Sure the big box retailers may have better pricing on some things but what are they costing our community in the long run? Let’s help support the Mom and Pop shops in our own neighborhood.
4. Attend at least one Birmingham based festival or event. We have so many to choose from each year. “Paint the Town Red” “Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival” “Birmingham Artwalk” “Birmingham Arts and Music Festival (BAAM Fest)” and “Birmingham Restaurant Week” to name a few. No Excuses to not try these out, unless you just don’t like to have fun!
5. Jazz it up! One of the things we love to do during the summer is “Jazz on the Porch” at the historic Rucker Place. This makes a great date night, so plan ahead and get a sitter so you can go and enjoy a beautiful city view on their large wrap around porches with some great music, wine and tapas!
6. Take in a show at the historic Alabama Theater. They have lots of concerts and movies going on throughout the year. In the summer they have a children’s matinee each weekend so take them out and let them enjoy the magic of a theater that maybe their grandparents used to visit when they were young.
7. Share BirminghamMommy.com with your friends! It’s gift that will keep on giving! :o)
Our list really could go on and on but then we might be running you into 2012. If you are new to the city or have lived here all of your life and haven’t done the things we have listed, give at least one of them a try, we dare you!