Ok.. So we got this recipe from our friend Erin over at Pure Fitness and it is AH-Mazing. It pretty much tastes like a Big Mac in a bowl, without the bread. I had really high hopes for this dish when I saw it and was afraid there was no way it would match my expectations, not only did it meet them, it blew them out of the water. Try it, trust us on this one!
What you need:
1 pound lean ground beef (or turkey) any %
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon avocado or refined coconut oil
2 small heads romaine sliced and root discarded
1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes halved
1/2 cup pickles plus more to taste
1 cup red onion thinly sliced
8-10 slices bacon cooked til crisp and roughly crumbled
2 avocados peeled and pitted
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Special Sauce (can totally buy or add your own too ):
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
What you’ll do:
1. In a medium bowl, mix together beef, garlic powder, and salt. Heat avocado or coconut oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat, then add beef and brown, crumbling with a spatula or spoon.
2. Meanwhile, prepare remaining elements for the burger bowls.
3. Make quick guacamole: In a medium bowl, mash together avocado, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4. Make the special sauce: whisk together all special sauce ingredients and set aside.
5. When beef is browned and crumbled, remove from skillet and return skillet to medium heat. Add red onions in a single layer and cook until lightly charred on the bottom, then flip. Cook until lightly charred on the second side then remove and repeat until all onions are lightly cooked.
6. Assemble: start with a layer of romaine in your serving bowls, then spoon 1/4 of the ground beef mixture into the center. Arrange remaining items around the beef: tomatoes, pickles, red onion, bacon, and quick guacamole. Drizzle with plenty of special sauce and serve.