Earth Day is Wednesday, April 22nd. While we shouldn’t wait for this day each year to get our green on, it is a good day to remind yourself of the simple things you can do to help protect our environment. Little things make a BIG difference!
1. Turn off lights and invest in products that conserve electricity when the appliance is only plugged in. Even when not turned on, an electronic appliance that is plugged into a power source still draws energy.
2. Buy food from farmers’ markets. The carbon impact of transportation is reduced.
3. Flush less water. Most toilets wash 3.5 gallons of water away with each flush. If you can’t install a high efficiency toilet, you could try installing a Toilet Tank Bank made by Niagara Conservation, which essentially is a water balloon placed in the toilet tank and saves up to .8 gallons per flush.
4. Ditch 1 time use products like plates, plastic cups and water bottles, invest in a reusable water bottle and put those dishes to good use.
5. Shower smarter. The average shower head spits out 2.5 gallons of water per minute. That means that a person who takes a 10-minute shower every morning uses over 9,000 gallons of water a year. Cut back by installing a shower head that is EPA approved.
6. Run your dishwasher only when it’s full.
Do you have any quick green tips to share?