If you love Hot and Sour Soup, you’re going to LOVE this one. Mommadrool has blessed us with this awesome version of the Chinese restaurant favorite. Also, she notes that this freezes well, so make it Mommas!
MommaDrool’s Hot and Sour Soup
8 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili oil
1/2 teaspoon sriracha chili sauce
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced bamboo shoots
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
1 square of firm tofu, drained and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
3 tablespoons cornstarch whisked with 1/4 cup water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
chopped green onions, garnish (optional)
1) Mix together first seven ingredients (chicken stock through white pepper) in a large pot and heat to a boil.
2) Add mushrooms, bamboo, and water chestnuts. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Add tofu and cook an additional 3 minutes.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to soup and continue to simmer until soup slightly thickens.
5) Turn heat to low setting. Stir soup in one direction to get a current going, then stop stirring. Slowly pour in beaten egg in a steady stream. Egg will cook immediately and feather in the broth.
6) Soup can be kept warm over low heat until ready to serve. Garnish with sliced green onions.
You can find many more droolicious recipes over at Mommadrools blog “2 Little Chicks”